Important VISIT FLORIDA Updates
- Your chamber CEO, Robin Sollie and Mike Miedel with Pinellas Economic Development represented Pinellas County in the 2/21/17 committee meeting with state representatives.
- Despite pleas from over 20,000 of their constituents, the Appropriations Committee moved legislation forward that would reduce VISIT FLORIDA funding by 67%.
- This legislation will be scheduled for a final vote on the House floor.
- Senator Brandes filed legislation in the Senate that would save VISIT FLORIDA.
- It is critical we renew the focus on the value of marketing the Sunshine State. Individuals in the industry need to remind legislators of the benefits tourism generates and how VISIT FLORIDA helps small businesses and communities reach new markets that they otherwise wouldn't be able to capitalize on.
- This legislation sends a signal that Florida's state government is no longer an active partner in supporting our important tourism sector. Additionally, the bill does the following:
Raises Taxes- Every household in Florida saves would need to be taxed an additional $1,535 a year if it wasn't for our tourists. Less tourists equals higher taxes for residents.
Hurts Jobs- Every 85 visitors account for 1 job in Florida. Less visitors equals less jobs.
Makes Florida Uncompetitive- Our competing states have similar programs, and this legislation will put Florida at a competitive disadvantage in attracting visitors.
- As we develop the next call to action, please contact committee members listed below that voted to cut VISIT FLORIDA's funding (notice some Pinellas County legislators voted to cut funding).
- Let them know VISIT FLORIDA is essential in bringing visitors to our state who generate 23% of our sales tax revenue, create 1.4 million jobs, support small business and boost our local economy with $108.8 billion in economic impact.
Rep. Carolos Trujillo (R-Doral), firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. George Moraitis (R-Ft. Lauderdale), email@example.com
Rep. Larry Ahern (R-Seminole), firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Ben Albritton (R-Bartow), email@example.com
Rep. Michael Bileca (R-Miami), firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Jason Brodeur (R-Sanford), email@example.com
Rep. Janet Cruz (D-Tampa), firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Travis Cummings (R-Orange Park), Travis.Cummings@myfloridahouse.gov
Rep. Jose Felix "Pepi" Diaz (R-Miami), email@example.com
Rep. Manny Diaz (R-Hialeah Gardens), Manny.Diaz@myfloridahouse.gov
Rep. Blaise Ingoglia (R-Spring Hill), Blaise.Ingoglia@myfloridahouse.gov
Rep. Clay Ingram (R-Pensacola), firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Larry Metz (R-Groveland), email@example.com
Rep. Jeanette Nunez (R-Miami), firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Jose Oliva (R-Hialeah), email@example.com
Rep. Elizabeth Porter (R-Lake City), firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Ray Rodrigues (R-Fort Myers), Ray.Rodrigues@myfloridahouse.gov
Rep. Chris Sprowls (R-Clearwater), Chris.Sprowls@myfloridahouse.gov
CLICK HERE for updated talking points
Please share this website with all your contacts and employees to take action.
It is important feedback comes from the individuals in the industry.
Thank you Representative Berman:
- CLICK HERE to view an example of our hard work. Thank you Representative Berman for your support. We encourage you to collect as many emails as you can of legislators who oppose this legislation and support VISIT FLORIDA.
- Your chamber CEO, Robin Sollie was featured in a Bay New 9 interview explaining the importance of VISIT FLORIDA and the need for individuals in the industry to contact legislators and show their support.
CLICK HERE to view Bay News 9 interview
- Your chamber is working to make sure this legislation, as written to eliminate VISIT FLORIDA, does not become law
CLICK HERE for more information on recent actions
CLICK HERE to view text of the proposed bill to eliminate VISIT FLORIDA
CLICK HERE to view 2/6/17 press release
CLICK HERE to view SaintPetersBlog article on Tampa Bay Beaches Chamber's Action
CLICK HERE to view Tampa Tribune Article on Governor Scott's Support for VISIT FLORIDA
CLICK HERE to view the Tampa Bay Times article on VISIT FLORIDA funding
CLICK HERE to view the Power of Florida Tourism infographic
CLICK HERE to view slides US Travel Association presented to FL Senators
CLICK HERE to view the economic impact of out-of-state visitors
CLICK HERE to watch FL Senate Appropriations Committee discussion on VISIT FLORIDA
CLICK HERE to view public testimony from FL Senate Appropriations Committee meeting
CLICK HERE to view Florida Chamber - Tourism Creates Economic Opportunity
CLICK HERE to view 2/21/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 2/16/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 2/08/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 2/03/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 1/25/17 Action Alert
Recent New Articles:
2/21/17: SaintPetersBlog - Bill to kill business incentives cleared house
2/17/17: Sunshine State News - One More Plea to Spear VISIT FLORIDA
2/15/17: Florida Politics - Mark Wilson calls House push to eliminate incentives...
2/15/17: NWF Daily News - Florida House moves on eliminating VISIT FLORIDA
Doug Izzo, Government Affairs Representative