Important VISIT FLORIDA Updates
View the 2017 National Tourism Lunch Presentation HERE.
REPRESENTING YOU AT THE STATE CAPITOL
- Governor Scott fully funded VISIT FLORIDA at $76 million.
- Thank you all for contacting your elected officials and all your hard work!
REPRESENTING YOU AT THE STATE CAPITOL
- On behalf of our members, Robin Sollie, President/CEO attended Tourism Day at the State Capitol 3/14 to meet with legislators and advocate for VISIT FLORIDA and the tourism industry.
- Doug Izzo, Government Affairs Representative also traveled to the State Capitol 3/21 & 3/22 to continue discussions with legislators on your behalf.
- Doug Izzo also appeared on the Florida Chamber's Bottom Line to discuss the importance of VISIT FLORIDA funding. Click Here to watch video
- Your chamber CEO, Robin Sollie and Mike Miedel with Pinellas Economic Development represented Pinellas County in the 2/21/17 committee meeting with state representatives.
- Robin Sollie was also featured in a Bay New 9 interview explaining the importance of VISIT FLORIDA and the need for individuals in the industry to contact legislators and show their support.
CLICK HERE to view Bay News 9 interview
- Your chamber is working to make sure this legislation, as written to eliminate VISIT FLORIDA, does not become law
CLICK HERE for more information on recent actions
TOURISM LEGISLATION UPDATE
- Tourist Development Council and County Tourism Promotion Agency: HB 479 - This legislation authorizes the Auditor General to conduct audits or other engagements of the Tourist Development Council and County Tourism Agency. Click Here for summary of legislation
- Companion Bills: (SB 880), (SB 1668) & (HB 1137)
- Tourist Development Tax: SB 68 - This legislation authorizes auditoriums that are publicly owned but not operated by specified organizations to apply for Tourist Development Tax funding under certain circumstances. Click Here for text of legislation.
- Companion bill: HB 173
- Public Records/Proprietary Confidential Business Information: SB 1504 - This legislation makes confidential business information held by agencies confidential and exempt from public record requirements. Click Here for text of legislation.
- Disclosure of Contract Information by Individuals or Entities Receiving Public Funding: SB 1502 - This legislation sets new guidelines regarding Tourist Development Councils, trade secrets and confidentiality of records. Click Here for text of legislation.
THANK YOU TO OUR LEGISLATORS
- Thank you Representatives Kathleen Peters, Ben Diamond and Wengay Newton for standing with your constituents and voting against HB 9.
- Thank you Governor Rick Scott and Senator Latvala for your continued support.
- CLICK HERE to view an example of our hard work. Thank you Representative Berman for your support. We encourage you to collect as many emails as you can of legislators who oppose this legislation and support VISIT FLORIDA.
CLICK HERE to view proposed bill addressing VISIT FLORIDA
CLICK HERE to view 2/6/17 press release
CLICK HERE to view SaintPetersBlog article on Tampa Bay Beaches Chamber's Action
CLICK HERE to view Tampa Tribune Article on Governor Scott's Support for VISIT FLORIDA
CLICK HERE to view the Tampa Bay Times article on VISIT FLORIDA funding
CLICK HERE to view the Power of Florida Tourism infographic
CLICK HERE to view slides US Travel Association presented to FL Senators
CLICK HERE to view the economic impact of out-of-state visitors
CLICK HERE to watch FL Senate Appropriations Committee discussion on VISIT FLORIDA
CLICK HERE to view public testimony from FL Senate Appropriations Committee meeting
CLICK HERE to view Florida Chamber - Tourism Creates Economic Opportunity
CLICK HERE to view 4/26/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 3/24/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 3/2/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 2/28/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 2/21/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 2/16/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 2/08/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 2/03/17 Action Alert
CLICK HERE to view 1/25/17 Action Alert
4/25/17: Tampa Bay Times - Scott's bond director weighs in on VISIT FLORIDA cuts
4/18/17: Florida Politics - Scott pushes ahead for VISIT FLORIDA funding
4/2/17: Florida Politics - House Speaker's ... crackdown runs into Senate roadblock
3/23/17: Naples Daily News - Legislative signals contributes to job slump
3/22/17: Tampa Bay Times - Rick Scott calls out Richard Corcoran, Pinellas Lawmakers
2/28/17: Orlando Sentinel - House to split VISIT FLORIDA, Enterprise Florida bills
2/28/17: Naples Daily News - Speaker changes VISIT FLORIDA plan
2/21/17: SaintPetersBlog - Bill to kill business incentives cleared house
2/17/17: Sunshine State News - One More Plea to Spear VISIT FLORIDA
2/15/17: Florida Politics - Mark Wilson calls House push to eliminate incentives...
2/15/17: NWF Daily News - Florida House moves on eliminating VISIT FLORIDA
Please share this website with all your contacts and employees to take action. It is important feedback comes from the individuals in the industry.
Doug Izzo, Government Affairs Representative